October is national Adopt a Shelter Dog month! What better way to celebrate the beginning of fall, cooler weather and the approaching holiday season than adopting a dog! Here is a list of 15 reasons (or excuses) for you to adopt a dog today. After you read this go check out your local animal shelters and find yourself a fur-ever friend!
1. Dogs make the best companions and are always ready for an adventure
Whether you are a homebody or traveler dogs make great companions and are willing to go or stay anywhere as long as its with you.
2. Always having someone who is excited to see you
Dogs are happy to see you every day. It doesn't matter if you've been gone for 20 minutes or all day, they will always be happy to see you.
3. Dogs keep you active!
They love going to the park, joining you on your morning run, or even just a quick stroll through the neighborhood. Dogs help you keep an active lifestyle by giving you an excuse to get out and exercise.
4. Everyone needs a trusty sidekick (or partner for Halloween)
There is no better sidekick than a dog.
5. Unconditional Love
Dogs are the most loving and caring animals. No matter your mood, time of day, or what they are doing, you can always count on them loving you and being there whenever you need them.
6. They are always there when you need help
So many dogs spend their life assisting their owner. They are always there to help you when you need it.
7. And sometimes they need help too
Some dogs have special needs. What better way to help a dog than adopt one with special needs?
8. They love you no matter your fur color or species
Whether you're a cat or a baby, it doesn't matter because they will love you and take care of you no matter what.
9. Never eat a meal alone again or have to clean up any food you drop on the floor
They will even lick your dishes clean for you if you let them!
10. Dogs will teach you to enjoy life a little more
Dogs are happy, carefree, and loving. They can teach you so much and help you enjoy the little things more (like sticking your head out the window).
11. They are the best support system you could have
They will stand by your side every step of the way.
12. You can't resist their cuteness
No one can resist cute faces like these.
13. You'll never have to spend the holidays alone
No one likes to spend the holidays alone, including dogs. Adopt one and let them enjoy the holidays with you.
14. Someone to binge watch your favorite TV shows with
Nothing better than cuddling up with your pup for an excessive amount of TV watching. Even better, they won't judge your taste in TV shows.
15. And lastly, adoption saves lives
By adopting a dog you are not only setting yourself up for happiness and companionship, you are giving them a second chance at life. Some dogs never see the outside of a shelter but you can change that by giving one a happy home and loving family.
Dogs are the greatest companions. They will love you, care for you, and always put a smile on your face. There are so many dogs living in shelters and need homes. You can save a life. Consider opening up your home and adopting a dog today.